Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Blessings of God

Quote/Adage
1/14/11

“God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame.”
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The all the wealth of the world, all the greatest heights or depths, neither the greatest dreams, nor anything else in all creation can ever compare the the gifts and blessings from God. God created the world around us. God created us. God didn't build a toll booth to collect user fees for life. Instead, life is free, and being in the created world is free; it's a gift. We humans are the ones who attach fees to what's been freely given to us. The biggest gift of all, however, isn't other people, and isn't nature, or the universe, or family. The biggest gift in all of existence is that we are given the Giver - the same Greatest One who was Job's only satisfaction and Moses' only strength is now given to humankind. God chooses not only to put up with us, but to be with us. That's what all this Jesus talk means - that's why Jesus matters. He is, in Christmas-talk, "God-with-us", Immanuel. That is the gift of Jesus. But Jesus is not walking among us today. So another gift has been given - God in yet another way, the divine Spirit through whom Christ is still in effect right here and now. This Spirit leads, shapes, empowers, and gives us joy. The gift a Christian lives in every day, most fundamentally, is the Holy Spirit.

In the Great Gatsby, Gatsby has very great dreams that he aims for but never reaches. He believes that he can reach his dreams and receive and do what ever he desires with his great wealth. However he doesn’t understand that to reach the blessings of his dreams, they all must be given from God through the Holy Spirit that he does not have. He tries to reach his dreams by corrupt means and when he gains money his desire for wealth grows more and is never satisfied.

One of Man’s greatest dreams is to have great wealth and have great power.
In the California Gold Rush people from the developing U.S. rushed to California trying to reach their dream of great wealth. About 150,000 people died trying to reach California drived by their desire for wealth and riches. Knowing the high risk of death, people still went on. Most died on their journey and those who made it created small boom towns. Though they lasted until all the surfaced gold was gone on the state, then the boom town became a ghost town. They moved on to other gold findings in other states still drived by their desire and unsatisfied hunger for Gold. Their dream for wealth has has blinded them from the true wealth and gifts; The Blessings from God through the Holy Spirit.

This quote doesn’t pertain to me because I have the Holy Spirit and I’m receiving gifts and blessings from God. Following God I will obtain great wealth without God I would be following the same foolish dreams that man pursues everyday. I would be studying for 14 years and save other peoples’ lives for the wrong reasons. Everyday I would be unsatisfied with the wealth I posses and I would crave more and be consumed in my own desires of the world. I would use my wealth to buy worldly processions believing that money will make me happy, but never it. I would spend the rest of my life enjoying the toys I obtained but in the end none of it truely matters. In the end I have sold my soul for riches and power and I would never see the Gates of Heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment